Last Updated on 19th August 2017 by Sophie Nadeau
Late this afternoon, I’ll arrive in Amsterdam for the first time since I was a young teenager. And by a young teenager, I mean 13. Although I love Paris and, more importantly, residing in Paris, I’m excited to get away for the weekend to explore another European capital and check off everything from my Amsterdam Bucket list! Besides, absence makes the heart grow fonder, right?!
- Amsterdam is the capital of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
- It is around 166 square miles.
- The name ‘Amsterdam’ derives from ‘Amstelredamme’, meaning ‘dam over the river Amstel’.
- During the 17th century, the city was the leading trader in diamonds and finance.
- The Stock exchange located in the city centre is the oldest in the World.
- Amsterdam is home to more nationalities than any other city in the World!
- Amsterdam inhabitants are the second biggest consumers of coffee in the World. An average person consumes 3.2 cups a day; woah.
Here’s my Amsterdam bucket list; let’s see how many things I can tick off!
- Visit the Rijksmuseum
This has got to be the top of my bucket list. I love museums and where better to see old master paintings than in the Netherlands itself?!
2. Visit the Giant I Amsterdam sign
I think everyone in the world has seen that sign. Now, it’s my turn to get a picture by it. Maybe by the ‘S’? 😉
3. Go Clubbing
I’m going to be Amsterdam. Of course I’m going clubbing in a city famed for its wild nightlife.
4. Visit the Van Gogh Museum
Home to Van Gogh’s self portrait and that famous ‘Sunflowers’ painting, I’m excited to see the paintings in the flesh; there’s something about seeing something for real that the screen can’t quite capture.
5. Visit the Anne Frank House
6. Visit the Fault in Our Stars bench.
I love the book. I love the film. I’m sorry to be such a fan girl but I am definitely going to go and get a picture with the bench!
7. Play giant chess
I love chess. I recently spoke about my love for chess in my post highlighting the Lewis Chessmen in the British Museum!
You know what I love more than playing chess? Playing chess in giant format.
8. Go to the flower market
Every time I think of the Netherlands, I envision fields of pretty tulips swaying in the breeze under a picturesque postcard worthy
9. Rent a bike
Oh gosh, I’m awful at cycling. My arms are different lengths and my coordination isn’t much better. But I’ll give it a go.
10. Have a picnic in a park.
I don’t care that it’s October. I WILL sit in a park and eat a lovely picnic + ice cream.
11. Eat waffles and drink beer
12. Over to you.
Got any suggestions of things I should do/ see in Amsterdam? Anything to add to the Amsterdam Bucket List? Leave a comment below!