We’ve all been there; finally reached a destination after hours of anticipation and traveling, eaten a little bit before bed and then tried to fall asleep… only to find that we couldn’t. Jetlag can be super annoying and cause you to feel like you’re so tired; you’re missing out on the fun you should be having.
Here are some tips on how to beat jetlag like a pro:
- Skip the coffee and opt for tea instead. Although it may be tempting to reach for the hot brew when you feel tired, both coffee and flying are naturally dehydrating, meaning that a combination of the two can make you feel even worse than before. Coffee also drains you of all the energy you have stored up, ensuring that you’ll feel even more tired later on.
- Change your watch, phone, laptop, and anything else that has the time on it to local time. Just being reminded of the fact that you’d be asleep in bed if you were at home can make you feel infinitely more tired.
- If you’re meant to be sleeping and just can’t don’t reach for your phone, tablet or the latest installment of your favourite series on netflix! The blue screen will stimulate your eyes, making it a lot harder to sleep. Instead, pick up a book or magazine, much better for your eyes.
- Try and stick to local times for meal times and bedtimes, it will make it a lot easier to quickly adjust (and ensure that you don’t miss out on any museum visits!)
- During overnight flights, and even during the night, if you can’t sleep, just concentrate on resting. Worrying about not sleeping when you’re supposed to will just make you more tired than before.
- Stock up on the fruit and veg; when you’re traveling, it can be difficult to keep up with the healthy eating, especially given the availability and speed of fast food outlets… but your body clock will thank you for it, as will your skin!
- Drink plenty of water; like eating fruit and veg, this can be tricky to keep up. Flying dries out your skin and being dehydrated can deplete the energy resources you already have. Drinking water may mean that you have to go to the loo in the air more frequently, and no one likes the plane toilets… but your skin will thank you for this one too!