Last Updated on 3rd May 2023 by Sophie Nadeau
If you are thinking about spending your honeymoon in a dreamy European country, Greece can be the right destination. This guide offers you all the information you need to plan an unforgettable honeymoon in Greece, take a look.
Romantic whitewashed towns, picturesque fishing ports, stunning beaches and seaside resorts, fun outdoor adventures, and superb cultural experiences, Greece has it all.
Reasons to Spend a Honeymoon in Greece
There are millions of reasons to spend the most romantic time of your life in Greece. The country has long been a favorite honeymoon destination for couples all over the world that reach Greece to spend their honeymoon.
However, Greece offers too many cities, islands, and dreamy locations for a romantic vacation, making it quite difficult to decide which is the right place for you and your partner.
Having that issue in mind, I’ve created this guide that breaks down the different places in Greece that offer incredible opportunities for a unique honeymoon.
All the places I’ve chosen, seem to have been made especially for couples, so read on and you won’t be disappointed. If you have chosen Greece, you’re on the right track for the most romantic honeymoon that you’ve ever dreamed of.
When to Go for a Perfect Honeymoon in Greece
The best time for a holiday in Greece is between May and September, during this period you will enjoy the most pleasant temperature and long hours by the sea.
Both June and September tend to be less crowded and more affordable, while July and August are extremely crowded and it’s difficult to find good restaurants without booking a table in advance.
A honeymoon in winter (from late October until early May) can be ok for those wishing to visit Athens, however, the islands might be quite solitary, with many attractions closed or working shorter hours and with difficult connections by ferry to the mainland due to weather conditions.
Honeymoon in Santorini
The most apparent Greek destination of all, Santorini has rightfully earned the first place on this list, even if you only have a long weekend on the island. This unique island in the heart of the Aegean shines for its incredible architecture perched on the sides of the mountain, one of the most magical places in the world.
Santorini could easily be defined as the honeymoon capital of Europe, receiving hundreds of newlyweds every year wishing to start their married life surrounded by the surreal landscapes of the island. Highlights of the island include drinking Greek wine, admiring the windmills of Santorini, and seeing the blue domes of Santorini.
Other than walking along the romantic alleys of Oia and Fira, two of the prettiest settlements, it is also possible to splurge in a beautiful suite with a private pool overlooking the sea for a truly romantic stay.
There are incredible activities to do in Santorini for couples, including sailing at sunset time near Red Beach. On the island, there are ancient castles to visit, as well as endless wine roads, ideal to get to know the incredible local gastronomy paired with the original wines that are made on the island. Check out this tour for more.
In Santorini, you and your partner can book a romantic photo session to immortalize the occasion and bring back home a fantastic souvenir of your trip. Because… what couple wouldn’t love to decorate their new house with a romantic snapshot holding hands by the Caldera!
If you would like to spend your honeymoon in Santorini, I recommend checking out any of these two hotels:
- Santorini Secret Suites & Spa, Small Luxury Hotels of the World: One of the most romantic places to stay in Santorini, this beautiful hotel is in the village of Oia and it features suites offering suites overlooking the volcano, each of them with a private terrace and an outdoor private pool or hot tub. The suites come with a comfy sitting area in Cycladic style, VIP cosmetics, and tea and coffee facilities. The hotel also features a Mediterranean restaurant and an on-site spa. Check prices and availability here.
- Canaves Oia Boutique Hotel: This fantastic honeymoon hotel is built on the side of a cliff overlooking the Caldera. It has spacious suites in Cycladic style, with balconies and a gorgeous. The hotel has its wine cellar, a gourmet restaurant, and a fantastic terrace bar. Check prices and availability here.
Honeymoon in Mykonos
The best destination for young couples who enjoy spending long days at the beach, snapping gorgeous photos, enjoying good music, and maybe a glass of champagne, Mykonos will add to your honeymoon the right dose of glamour and fun.
Moreover, the island features some of the most impressive beaches in the Aegean while a visit to the solitary Rhenia island, just a short sail from Mykonos Port will be perfect to enjoy a barbecue at sea, or jumping off the yacht into the emerald waters surrounding the tiny island. Check out the boat trip excursion here.
Mykonos is a cosmopolitan island with a very exclusive atmosphere and it can be quite expensive, however, this is the most important trip in your life, and it’s only fair to splurge as much as you can to enjoy every minute of it!
If you’re hesitating between Mykonos and Santorini, be sure to check out our guide on how to choose between Santorini and Mykonos. If you’ve made up your mind and want to put Mykonos in your Greek honeymoon itinerary, check out these two stunning hotels on the island:
- Dreambox Mykonos Suites: This beautiful hotel is located in the romantic port and beach of Ornos, and is also close to some of the best beaches on the island. The hotel features an outdoor pool and elegant suites with jetted tubs and views of the Aegean. Check prices and availability here.
- Once in Mykonos – Designed for Adults: One of the most exclusive properties on the island, this hotel features a blend of classic Cycladic style with modern boho décor. Suites come with a terrace with sea views and a coffee machine. Some rooms also feature a private pool. At the property, there is also a delicious restaurant. Beauty treatments are available for couples. Check prices and availability here.
Honeymoon in Athens
Although a big city might not be the first place you think about when picturing the perfect honeymoon destination, Athens is never a good idea if you’re looking for the right dose of entertainment mixed with stunning cuisine and dreamy landscapes.
There are ancient sites and unique museums to discover, perfect for those couples looking for something other than time on the beach. If you plan to stay a short time in the city, be sure to check out how to spend 2 days in Athens.
One of the most romantic things to do in town is to book a sunset tour of the Acropolis, this way, you will not only beat the crowds that gather every morning in the most visited archaeological site in the country, but you will also enjoy perfect views of the city, all the way to the sea, from the summit of the Acropolis Rock at the most beautiful hour of the day.
Later on the same evening, you can walk around the fairy quarter of Anafiotika, with its enchanting island-like atmosphere, and have a super traditional Greek dinner in the Neoclassical neighborhood of Plaka.
But Athens offers a lot more, you can go for relaxing walks at the National Gardens, or discover Athens’ nightlife and delicious restaurants around Agia Eirini Square. A street food-tasting tour like this one is just the right option for a fun night out.
If Athens sounds like a great destination for your honeymoon, then check out these two great city hotels:
- Theoxenia Palace: Located in the exclusive district of Kifissia, just a few minutes from the center of Athens, this amazing hotel is the gift choice for a honeymoon. The suites overlooking a park feature tasteful furnishing and exclusive amenities. At the property, you can enjoy also an outdoor pool and a fully-equipped gym with a sauna and a hammam. Check prices and availability here.
- NJV Athens Plaza: The hotel is situated in Syntagma Square, in the heart of Athens and it features luxury accommodations with stunning Acropolis views. At the hotel, there is also a trendy gourmet restaurant and a lounge bar specializing in mouthwatering desserts and snacks. Check prices and availability here.
Honeymoon in Hydra
Just a short ferry ride from Athens, it is an excellent idea to combine your stay in the capital with a short break in the small but picturesque Hydra Island.
An enchanting gem facing the Saronic Gulf, the tiny island can only be discovered on foot or on the back of a horse (all other means of transport are banned).
On Hydra, there are beautiful hidden beaches to relax, unique hiking paths that lead to the highest point on the island, and a quiet and refined atmosphere.
You can easily reach Hydra from Athens by boat that departs from the port of Piraeus (if you have affiliation with FerryHopper, then you can add it here) and spend a few days at this destination.
Or, if you prefer, you can also join a one-day cruise that also takes you to Aegina and Poros, two more small islands in the area.
If staying in Hydra is something you think you would enjoy, then check out these two properties that are ideal for a honeymoon:
- Angelica Traditional Boutique Hotel: This property is just a few steps from the characteristic port of Hydra, and offers exclusive suites with spa baths or jet showers. There is also a gorgeous courtyard for breakfast, a mini pool, a hot tub, and a sauna. Check prices and availability here.
- Hydra Hotel: Boasting sweeping views of the island, this place overlooks the romantic port of Hydra and features eight unique suites, in a very tranquil location, with a spacious living area and a separate bedroom. Check prices and availability here.
Honeymoon in Corfu
One of the big islands in Greece, Corfu is a very romantic spot to spend a relaxing holiday with your partner without ever getting bored.
The island has tons of things to do, there are unique museums, a UNESCO-listed old town, some amazing beaches, and verdant hills for sports and entertaining hikes, everything at a more affordable price than a stay in Mykonos.
Besides, from this Ionian destination, it is also possible to visit smaller islands with incredible turquoise waters and solitary beaches that seem to have been made just for couples.
A day cruise to Paxos, for instance, will offer the opportunity to dive and enjoy snorkeling on the pristine shores of Paxos and Antipaxos, exploring marvelous sea caves and unique seaside villages.
One of the most romantic things to do in Corfu is to head to the Canal D’Amour, near the Sidari area, to swim together, as the tradition wants, under the beautiful sea-carved channel. If you need more Corfu inspiration, check out our suggestions for 3 days in Corfu.
If a honeymoon in Corfu is something that entices you, then check out these perfectly romantic hotels on the island:
- Canal D’ Amour by Estia: This beachfront hotel in the area of Sidari is a great honeymoon spot in Corfu, featuring a beautiful outdoor swimming pool and guest rooms with convenient amenities. Check prices and availability here.
- Kerkyra Blue Hotel & Spa: This is a more exclusive property, conveniently located in Corfu Town offering suites near Alykes Beach. The hotel also has a restaurant, a bar, and a fitness center. Check prices and availability here.
Honeymoon in Naxos
If you are longing to explore the dreamy Cycladic landscapes of unique beauty but don’t wish to spend a fortune, then head to the beautiful island of Naxos, as enchanting as Santorini, but much more affordable and with plenty of things to do.
The island welcomes you with a spectacular view of the Portara, an ancient site that witnesses some of the most beautiful sunsets in the Aegean. For more inspiration, check out our suggestions for 2 perfect days in Naxos.
A good way to explore the area is by joining a mythology tour in the afternoon that not only shows you the best sights in this part of Naxos but also entertains you with surprising myths and stunning legends.
Naxos’ Chora, the city’s old town, is a beautiful jewel located on an elevated position overlooking the port, with enchanting winding alleys adorned with bougainvillea flowers and amazing corners for romantic snapshots.
On the island, there are also traditional mountain villages, known for their delicious taverns and relaxed pace of life. Also in Naxos, some of the best beaches in Greece await to offer you relaxing moments by the crystal-clear seas.
A honeymoon in Naxos is an excellent idea, if you agree, then check out these beautiful hotels for a stay on the island:
- Orkos Beach Hotel: Situated right opposite the paradisiac Mikri Viglia Beach, this Cycladic-style hotel features a spa center with a hot tub and hammam. There is also a fantastic outdoor pool surrounded by a pretty garden. Suites and rooms are decorated in relaxing earthy tones and have beautiful views of the sea. Check prices and availability here.
- Naxos Cave Suites: In the heart of the tranquil area of Stelida, close to magnificent beaches and not far from Naxos’ airport, this hotel offers the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon. The hotel offers a cozy atmosphere in a serene environment, homemade breakfasts prepared with traditional products from the island, and a comfortable free airport shuttle upon request. Check prices and availability here.
A final note on planning a honeymoon in Greece
As you can see, a honeymoon in Greece offers different kinds of experiences, from exciting moments in the capital to lonely islands and classic destinations with traditional whitewashed settlements to live the most idyllic moments of this new life together.
If you’re looking for more Greece inspiration, don’t hesitate to check out our travel guides on the best hidden gems of Greece and the top quotes about Greece.
Enjoyed reading this guide to planning a honeymoon in Greece? Pin this article now, read it again later:
Gabi Ancarola is a journalist and travel writer who has lived over 20 years in Italy, and has been living in Crete for the last five years. She hosts culinary tours, translates and writes for her Crete travel blog The Tiny Book. She’s written for Greek Reporter and published several travel guides about Greece.