Last Updated on 30th December 2016 by Sophie Nadeau
There’s something about Paris… You’ll know it if you’ve seen Paris, been to Paris. It has a magical charm about it that you can’t quite put your finger on. After all, Paris isn’t called the city of lights for nothing! Becoming French isn’t something that you’re born with, it’s something you create…
So here is a guide on becoming French and how to know that you’re a true Parisian:
- You automatically go for a kiss on both cheeks rather than a handshake the first time you meet someone.
- You can successfully navigate the metro sans map.
- Equally, you know how to squeeze yourself into the tightest spots on the metro.
- Your breakfast consists of one expresso, no milk… and perhaps a croissant.
- You drink your coffee and other hot beverages from a bowl. It almost makes sense.
- You can navigate cobblestones in heels (even Montmartre!).
- People back home consider you to be abrupt or rude.
- Crepes are the only food to purchase after a night out.
- You consider yourself to be ripped off if Happy Hour lasts any less than three hours.
- People start approaching you and asking for directions. You’re a woman who looks like she knows where she’s going!
- You realize that there is more to Paris than the Tour Eiffel and The Arc de Triomphe.
- You love that everyone has a dog… but complain about the amount of poo everywhere at any available opportunity.
- Your wardrobe is monotone. Shades of grey, shades of grey…
- And everything is about the subtle accessory.
- You consider 7 pm as way too early to even think about dinner.
- You can pull off lightly tousled hair.
- And equally a messy bun.
- You believe that the only way to enjoy a Parisian picnic is to include wine and cutlery in the mix.
- You understand that age is just a number! A Parisienne knows that she is like fine wine and that she matures well with age.
- You enjoy complaining.
- You understand that not everything needs to be done in a rush.
- And that bureaucracy makes the world go round.
- Besides, it’s okay to be five minutes late… on occasion.
- AZERTY is basically the new QWERTY.
- If a queue is less than 30 minutes, the exhibition is probably awful.
- You don’t have to have been born Parisian to be one… Parisians are made, not born.